Find local services, articles, and more...

Search form


Guardianship & Conservatorship


Do you need to consider substitute decision making options for a family member? If someone can no longer manage personal, financial, and/or legal matters, it may be time to consider guardianship, conservatorship, and other legal options to ensure that your loved one's needs are addressed.

Currently showing 21 local programs & services.
Enter a City, County or Zip code and filter the results by location.
  • This explains the legal process used to determine if a person is incapacitated and needs an adult guardian or conservator, as well as the responsibilities of guardians and conservators. Alternatives, such as living wills and durable power of attorney also are discussed.

    Read More
  • Planning for the care of a loved one with cognitive and memory impairments can be difficult. This article from Family Caregiver Alliance takes you through some steps you can take to make the process easier.

    Read More
  • To help financial caregivers all over the country, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) has created state-specific guides and resources for people managing money for older relatives and friends. These guides will make it easier for caregivers to follow Virginia’s unique rules and to find help close to home.

    Read More
  • When an individual is incapacitated, a substitute decision maker may be necessary. Learn about Guardianship, Conservatorship and other forms of substitute decision making.

    Read More
  • Learn about the programs and resources available through the Virginia Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services (DARS). The Department is a central point of contact for information and services for Virginia's older adults and adults with disabilities.

    Read More