Technical Assistance, Richmond
Resources for Independent Living, Inc.
Who We Are
Resources for Independent Living, Inc. (RIL) offers technical assistance to individuals with disabilities. The program provides training, public awareness and general technical assistance for consumers in need of assistive technology. Technical assistance is provided on devices, services and funding resources.
Assistive technology is any item that is used to increase, maintain or improve the functional capabilities of people with disabilities including:
- communication devices such as voice output devices, large-button telephones and speech amplifiers;
- items like pocket organizers and medication organizers;
- sensory enhancers such as text magnifiers and speech synthesizers;
- environmental controls like special switches, and doorbells that send flashing lights; mobility devices including scooters and walkers;
- self-care items like utensils, toileting assists, and lift and transfer equipment.
Information on determining possible devices and services, funding options, and individual rights related to assistive technology are available.
Technical Assistance offered the general community includes surveying homes, schools, offices, churches or other buildings to determine the most economical and efficient method to make the facility universally accessibility.