Skip to main content
Virginia Department of Medical Assistance Services

600 East Broad Street,
Suite 1300
Richmond, VA 23219

(111) 111-1111

Get Directions

37.5424846, -77.4358941

Contact Information

(111) 111-1111
(800) 424-4046
(888) 221-1590

Who We Are

The Department of Medical Assistance Services (DMAS) is the agency that administers Cardinal Care Medicaid,  the State Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), and the Governor's Access Plan (GAP) in Virginia. GAP is a new Cardinal Care Medicaid plan that will provide limited medical and behavioral health care coverage for mental health and substance use disorder services, medical doctor visits, medications, access to a 24-hour crisis line, recovery navigation services, and case management.

To receive GAP benefits, you must meet ALL of the following eligibility guidelines:

  • Be an adult age 21 through 64 years old;
  • Be a United States Citizen or lawfully residing immigrant;
  • Have no health insurance, including Cardinal Care Medicaid, Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP/FAMIS), Medicare, or TriCare;
  • A resident of Virginia;
  • Have a household income that is below 100% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) (about $11,670 per year for a single adult);
  • Not be residing in a long-term care facility, mental health facility, or penal institution; and
  • Be screened and meet the criteria for GAP Serious Mental Illness (SMI).

Call the Community Services Board (CSB) or the nearest Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) to have a GAP Serious Mental Illness (SMI) Screening done. Applicants do not need to wait until their GAP Application has been reviewed before scheduling this screening and the Screener may help individuals complete the GAP Application if they need assistance. Call Magellan at 1-800-424-4046 GAP9 for the number of the nearest CSB or FQHC.

Who We Serve

Languages Spoken
Service Area(s)

Cost & Payment Methods

Fee Structure
No Fee

Age Requirements
Other Eligibility Criteria
Call for other eligibility

Available 24/7

Intake Process
Please call for inquiries, visit the website. Call your local Community Services Board for more details.
Self Refer
Provider Refer
Intake Contact Telephone
(800) 424-4046